Thursday, July 1, 2010

Lamb Burger with charred onion and mint



After having the lamb burger at the Breslin (which was amazing), I've been meaning to make one of my own. So I got some ground lamb from the now local Fairway and went to work. I didn't want to do just salt and pepper, so I made a bit of a spice rub consisting of cayenne, cumin and cinnamon to highlight the slightly gamey lamb. Mint is a classic pairing with lamb, so I wanted to implement it somehow, so I combined it with the onions I sautéed in the leftover lamb fond while I let the burger rest.

Lamb Burger
5-8- oz ground lamb
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cumin
1 Brioche bun, toasted
1 diced small onion
5-6 mint leaves
1 minced garlic clove

Directions
  1. Form lamb into a patty. Heat a cast iron pan over medium-high heat.
  2. Toast bun until a mahogany color appears.
  3. Combine salt, pepper, cinnamon, cayenne and cumin. Season burger on one side with rub. Place on pan and season the other side.
  4. Sear for 4 minutes, flip, and cook to desired temp. Around 3 minutes for medium rare.
  5. Take the burger off, and let rest on the bun. Throw onions/mint/garlic onto the hot pan and scrape up lamb fond, sauté for a few minutes and top the burger with the onions. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment