Thursday, December 31, 2009

Fried oysters in a white wine and cream sauce


The family went down to Arthur Avenue in the Bronx this morning for some pork belly that I’m preparing for tomorrow. Once we got there and saw a fresh fish shop with the freshest oysters out in the front for only $10 for a dozen, it was too much of a bargain to pass up. I also wanted to try out my new deep fryer I got for Christmas, and since my mom’s friend told me how easy it is to make, it was a pretty easy decision to get them.

The only difficult part of making them was the shucking. It was the first time I’ve done it, and I’ve heard the stories of how dangerous it is, and how easy it is to cut yourself, so I was sure to be extra careful by using a towel and gloves to protect my hands.

Fried oysters with a white wine-cream sauce

1 dozen oysters

1 egg

½ cup flour

½ cup panko breadcrumbs

½ cup white wine

3 Tbsp cream

½ of a shallot, minced

1 clove garlic, minced

Oil for frying

Directions

  1. Shuck oysters with a dull knife by jamming the knife into the back crease until you get the knife in it. Then twist until opened. place in an ice water bath to remove sediment. Be careful by using a towel and gloves to protect yourself from the knife.
  2. Heat oil in fryer. Dredge oysters in flour, then egg and panko.
  3. Sauté shallots in a pan, add wine, reduce until the alcohol is cooked out, then add cream.
  4. Fry oysters until golden brown.
  5. To plate, place sauce in shell, top with oyster and some parsley and hot sauce.

1 comment:

  1. yeah those thin gloves will stop any knife in its tracks

    wow last time I had oysters I was dropping brown snake water like a mother

    frying food is bad, frying oysters is like asking for shitty bowel movements (get it)

    next time, dont be so SHELLFISH HAHAHAHL:Pp

    ReplyDelete