Saturday, April 10, 2010

The deliciousness of Momofuku's Bo Ssäm

The Bo Ssäm ($200) at Momofuku Ssäm Bar is utterly fantastic. The dish consist of, as Chang puts it, "bo ssam - whole butt, oysters, kimchi, rice, bibb lettuce, ". It was first created at Momofuku during a staff meal where there were leftover oysters and pork shoulder. The bo ssäm is great for large groups of people as it can easily fill up 8 diners, we had 6 and there was still leftovers.

We started off with the famed Pork Buns, which were awesome as usual and the roasted rice cakes with spicy pork. Despite my numerous attempts, I don't think I will be able to recreate the pork buns anytime soon. The high quality of ingredients and years of practice are just something I can't achieve right now.

Now to the bo ssäm. The massive pork butt, beautifully caramelized with brown sugar was falling off the bone tender. After a little lesson by our waiter, we dug in; tearing apart the butt. Placing the tender pork on top of white rice and a freshly shucked oyster in the Bibb lettuce, which served as a taco shell of sorts. Then we had a choice of 4 sauces, my favorite was the Ssamjang sauce, which was sweet enough to hold up to the porky butt and fresh as can be oyster. The oyster and pork really worked wonders together, I had my doubts too, but it really came together beautifully. While it does seem very pricey at 200 dollars, it can easily be enough for 8-10 people. So it boils down to around $20-$25 per person, not cheap, but you're really getting a one of a kind meal.
After finishing up at the Ssäm Bar, we went next door to the Milk Bar, to start out travel through the Bermuda triangle of dessert spots. After I got a slice of my favorite dessert, the Crack Pie, which does live up to its name we headed over to Chikalious, where my uncle, mom and brother got espresso ice cream and chocolate eclairs. Then we headed over to Momofuku Noodle Bar for my Dad, who got the olive oil and pickled cherry soft served, which was pretty funky, but in a good way.
It was definitely quite the foodie night. One to remember for sure, as I probably won't need to eat for another few days after tonight. Hopefully one day i'll be able to create such an enticing dish as the bo ssäm at Momofuku Ssäm Bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment