Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Seared sea scallops with swiss chard and bacon puree and Sriracha

Scallops are probably one of the easiest fish to make into something delicious because they already have so much natural flavor that all you have to do is add salt and pepper. Sea scallops are the big and thick ones, while bay scallops are the tiny ones. After being quickly seared in some butter they develop a perfect crust, sealing in the awesomeness of the flavor.

For the sauce, I made a puree of Swiss chard and bacon. It’s earthy, bitter, salty and smoky all at once and adds a nice balance to the flavorful scallop. The Sriracha is there to add just a touch of heat to the dish.

Seared sea scallops with Swiss chard and bacon puree and Sriracha

4-8 sea scallops

1 Tbsp butter

2 slices bacon, chopped

4-5 big leaves of Swiss chard

½ cup water or chicken stock

2 Tbsp olive oil

2 Tbsp Sriracha

Salt and pepper

Directions

  1. Heat a pan over medium heat and sauté bacon for 5 minutes. Add Swiss chard to the bacon and cook until tender. Transfer to a blender and stream in oil, water and stock while you puree.
  2. Heat the pan to high. Pat the scallops dry and make sure they are clean by removing the tough muscle on its side. Salt and pepper the scallops. Melt the butter in the pan. Sear the scallops for 3-5 minutes on each side.
  3. To plate, spoon on some puree and using the back of your spoon push it in a curve; dab on some Sriracha as well. Then place 2-3 scallops on the end of your puree/sriracha.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I really think you did a good job with those scallops.

    Did you try to use a saucepan to cook them at all? It is a good idea to roll them around a little. Cook all the sides that way. I'm waiting for more!
    Know when your next dish will be out? Excited!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those look really good. I'm
    hoping that I can see some more,
    or at least make this at home.
    really, this is a top notch recipe,
    everybody should try to make this once

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mowing the lawn yesterday, I saw a peculiar sight.
    All I wanted was scallops, I saw some pebbles, looked like them
    Too good to be true, I thought, then I saw this recipie
    Trying to cook it now. Thanks

    Cooking is really hard when you are in a wheel chair
    Origionally I had legs but I lost them due to cars
    Now I wheel aroudn the kitchen,
    Like a lost sole (get it?)
    Everyone helps though, its okay
    Yippie, its done, Im gouing to eat, thanks my legs hurt

    ReplyDelete