Saturday, November 7, 2009

Blackie's Hot Dog Stand: a night to remember




Last Friday, my uncle and I made the more-than two-hour trek to Blackie's Hot Dog stand in Waterbury, Ct. This was a really big deal because Blackie's is usually NEVER open on Fridays. It was owned by a Catholic family back in 1928, and according to the Catholic church, you weren't allowed to eat meat on Fridays, so Blackie's, being a hot dog stand, was closed on Fridays. In the 60's when the church said it was ok to eat meat on Fridays, Blackie's still stayed closed on Fridays just until a few years ago when they would open for private parties.So when my uncle's business colleague opened the place up for this past Friday and invited us, I knew I wouldn't be missing it for the world. I had never been to Blackie's before then, just heard stories telling of its greatness and its vaunted hot pepper relish(which did not disappoint).
Upon arrival, I knew I was in for a treat when i saw the big, old school red neon lights spelling out Blackie's. With the more then two hour wait, and mountains of anticipation built up, I couldn't wait for get inside. The interior was just as retro as the exterior, I felt as though I stepped right into a 50's diner, with leather stools and a Happy Days esque jukebox.
Now, to the food. Blackie's is famous for their hot-dogs, smothered in hot pepper relish and mustard, its a hot dog enthusiast dream. I'm pretty sure the dogs are boiled to the point where they blister, slapped on a soft, chewy roll. The dogs are a combo of beef and pork as I was informed by the extremely pleasant server. You then have the choice of mustard and the renowned hot pepper relish. Once I loaded it up with mustard and relish and took that first bite, I immediately thought, "Oh my god, this relish is amazing!!". This isn't your ordinary relish, its got a nice kick to it from the hot peppers, perfect balance of acidity and sweetness, its simply sublime. It was so good, I just had to buy a jar of it, and i'll be putting that stuff on every dog I eat!

Blackies also serves burgers and cheeseburgers. My uncle and I each tried one because as we saw them being served they looked like they were worth a try... they weren't. They weren't bad necessarily, they were just average. They did, however, ruin our quest for 5 dogs apiece for the night, we ended up with 3 each and a burger each, very satisfied though.


2200 Waterbury Road Cheshire, CT 06410
203.699.1819

1 comment: